Saturday 17 August 2013

Anna's Final Fan Fiction

I have used Sex and the City and have followed suit with their episodes by having Carrie as the narrator.


Specs Appeal

This recession had cast a grey cloud over New York; grey clothes, grey faces, grey futures, nothing had definition anymore, it was all just one blur of different shades of grey – and not the 50 kind, but the dull kind, the grey kind.

As I peered closer in the mirror, I noticed something else grey.

No, surely not.

I reached for Big’s shaving glasses he left in the bathroom. He did this knowingly more for my purpose than his own, but had the heart to leave this unspoken.

I put on his glasses and as I slowly pulled my hair back I saw it. Staring back at me through Big’s Burberrys was my first grey hair.

Ok, so not my first, first grey hair.

In the past there had been hints that the troops were on their way, but there had been no bloodshed. A fresh set of highlights quickly killed any signs of a regrowth revolution.

But this was different. This was a full-length grey hair. How had I let this one slip through? And during the week my hairdresser was in Paris!

I needed some colour to distract from this renegade. And what further distraction from my head, than my feet?

As I walked through the doors of Manolo Blahnik I felt the colour. I don’t know if it was the colour that made me feel warm or the fact that it was below zero out, either way, there was no grey in here.

It wasn’t long before I had found the perfect pair. Actually, I found several perfect pairs, but these, with their deep green satin and lush gold detailing, would serve their purpose perfectly.

“Well at least you know nobody else will be wearing the same shoes as you” the assistant smiled at me.

“Oh knowing my luck, there will be” I replied.

“But mam, these are one-of-a-kind limited edition, they arrived this morning” she said.

“These really are the perfect pair” I thought to myself as I watched her wrap them in labeled tissue.

“Are these for any special occasion?” she asked.

“Yes, a lunch date with some very special people” I answered.

I handed her my credit card, which has been put on a budget of necessary expenses only lately, due to the lack of interest in my new book. But this was a necessary expense, these shoes were necessary. Plus I knew a publisher would come knocking soon.

“I’m sorry mam, but your card has declined” she said.

“Oh I must have put the wrong pin number in, let me try again” I said flustered. I knew I had $1500 left in my account until next month.

Accepted

“Enjoy your lunch, mam” she said.

Just before I arrived at the restaurant, I slipped on my new shoes. There was no way I was using them to walk the five blocks from the store. No, the purpose of these shoes was not for walking, but for admiring.

The girls all swooned over my new purchase, as I beamed like a proud new mother. And lunch with the girls brought even more colour into my life.

I once again handed over my credit card to pay. This was the last time until payday I told myself.

“I’m sorry mam, but your card has declined” the waiter said as he looked down his nose at me.

“Oh God, I’m sorry, this is the second time today I have put in the wrong pin number. Here, let me do it again, it will work” I said, confident that I had made the same silly mistake as before.

“I’m sorry but it has still declined. You can always work in the kitchen to pay off your debt, although those shoes would be useless” he scoffed.

“Oh honey, I’ll pay, you can get me next time” Samantha charmed.

I smiled. Embarrassed. But still confused, those shoes were only $495, and I clearly remembered checking my account before I left, to avoid this exact situation.

As Samantha came out of the restaurant to meet us girls she called out “Honey, how much were those shoes!”

“They were $495, I double checked, because I knew I was on a budget”

“Still no publisher then huh?” Miranda asked.

“No, but soon I hope. Look, here is the receipt, $495 like I said. Here you check it” I passed to Miranda, being the lawyer of the group I felt she would be best to defend my spend.

“Carrie, this says $1495, not $495” Miranda said with her sensible lawyer tone.

“What?” I felt the embarrassment creep up my body, the warm red blush swept over my face. All of a sudden, I longed for the cold grey.

“Surely not, Samantha let me use your glasses” I snapped. As I looked through them, I saw could see the problem easily. “Oh” I whimpered.

As I went to hand back Samantha’s glasses she said, “honey, you keep those”.

I ignored that comment and handed them back.

“Carrie, why don’t you just get a pair of glasses, you’re always borrowing someone else’s” Charlotte proposed.

“No, absolutely not, I don’t need glasses!” I defied.

“Carrie, I think you do” Miranda said, her sensible tone still going strong.

I was still adamant that I was not getting glasses, although I was starting to realise that I actually needed them.

“Carrie, Big wears glasses and you’re fine with that” Charlotte said.

“Yes” I replied, “but men get better as they age, they suit it, it gives them more sex appeal. Women, as they age, just get old”.

“Oh honey, that’s not true! You can have some of that too” Samantha praised, “Come on Carrie, let’s go get you some of that specs appeal!”










2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your fan fiction! Although I have never really gotten into the Sex and the City Seasons and films I got a fair idea of the attitudes and almost carefree lives these women seem to have. I really liked the way you started off with the repetition of the colour grey because it was building up to something, which you thought would be a massive deal, to a single strand of grey hair. It emphasises how many responsibilities they don't have as she seems to worry about this the most! Great fan fiction!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna, great work here. I really had fun reading your work. Your style of writing is commendable. I had fun reading that part where,seeing that one grey hair was a major deal for her. i would also react the same to that situation if i see that on my head. lol I never saw any episode of Sex in the city :/ but by reading this piece of work,i will now find the episodes and have a view to it. :) great work!

    ReplyDelete