Wednesday 14 August 2013

Natasha's Fan Fiction final

In Summer 1922, after the ill-fated death of Jay Gatsby, originally James Gatz, three letters were delivered to the still mansion where he was living. Two brought by hand themselves, and the other by a butler. Clearly these were written after Gatsby’s passing, and are presumably containing messages that couldn’t be said face to face.


My Darling Gatsby,

Oh how I miss you Gatsby.  You were always the same young man I first met in our earlier years. I never meant for this to happen to you, because I thought we would love each other forever and ever and ever and grow old together forever. That was the plan wasn’t it? We loved each other didn’t we? It may have seemed like I didn’t love you the way you loved me but I did, I really did.

I have always thought about you, and you and I, and our happy lives together, you and I. I still think about us today. My life is nothing but dull, dead, and dreary. Tom doesn’t adore me like you do. I am unhappy.  He has a number of mistresses did you know?

Why didn’t I listen to you Jay, why? Why didn’t I just leave Tom, that cruel, pitiless man I call my soul mate, my husband. My life is full of guilt, remorse, even more now you have left me here, absent, alone. Tom barely talks to me, he ignores me in fact. It hurts. My heart, it aches now you’re not here. Oh how I miss you Gatsby.

I overheard about your funeral. And I received letters from Nick regarding the day, yet I ignored them. Only because of Tom though, because I love you Jay. I would have come, but it was complicated at home, and my life was less than perfect and you know I need perfection Jay. I couldn’t handle that you were gone so fast. You meant, and you mean so much to me, and I couldn’t have been able to control my emotions in front of everyone else there. I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.

I miss you Gatsby. I really, really do. I don’t know how I will ever be the same without you, or if I could ever be in love with any other man. I will always love you, and I want you to know that I regret leaving you when we were younger, my mind got the better of me, and I didn’t realise my love for you until now.



With love,
Daisy Buchannan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To My Friend Jay,

Oh Jay, you have gone too soon. You did not deserve to go like this. You were a decent man, with a good, generous heart. Everyone else didn’t know the Jay Gatsby that I knew. A mysterious man, with a trunk full of money, a mansion, and raging parties was not the true Jay. The Jay I knew, was determined, and strived for the things he wanted, and to achieve his dreams. Though you may have been too determined at times, that the dream of winning the love of your life back, blinded you, losing who you were, leading you to take dangerous risks, resulting in an unfortunate death, and I don’t mean yours Jay.

I tried to tell you. I tried to warn you. You cannot repeat the past Jay. Everything changes and people change. But Daisy was the only thing on your mind wasn’t she? Ever since the thing between you two in your younger years. I know you loved her, and I now know that she was the reason behind your Saturday night parties, but clearly, she had moved on with her life, she has a husband, and a young daughter. She may have said things and done things to you that may have given you the idea that things could be back to the way they used to be, but Daisy and Tom are the type of people whose lives are perfect to others, but no matter how much they own, or how much money they have, they will always want more and will never be grateful for what they have. Their lives are actually dull and uneventful, and they will do things that can mess up other people’s lives, and then leave at the drop of a hat, without feelings of guilt. I guess that is also one of the reasons why you changed your name and your background about your childhood and family, yeah?  Yes, your dad told me. You shouldn’t change who you are, especially for people like Daisy. Heartless, heartless people you may call them, heartless indeed.

                You Gatsby, being the loyal man you are, saw nothing of this carry on and betrayal, and saw Daisy’s positive attributes over her negative. They are only careless people, and destroy things, knowing in the back of their minds that whatever mess they create, their money will shield them from the consequences.



                Yours Sincerely,
Nick Carraway


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To My Son,

                I haven’t seen you in a very long time. Although I am glad to finally witness your luxurious lifestyle, and how you lived, it makes me upset that it is on these circumstances. To be honest son, the last time I saw you I wouldn’t have thought your life would end up like this, living in a mansion with butlers and maids, the host of famous Saturday night parties, and having the amount of money that you had. Who would’ve thought a young boy, raised in a poor family from Minnesota would grow up to live a life full of luxury. I guess the book you called your schedule helped you leave and earn a life like this.

                I am very proud of you James. Almost every day I stare at the picture I keep in my jacket pocket of where you live, and I think about the life you have now, and feel disappointed in myself, as a father, that I couldn’t have given you that life. I wanted you to know that me and your mother only wanted the best for you, and we did truly try our hardest to raise you up in the nicest environment we could. We did try son.

                I wanted you to know that we just wanted the best for you. If I only you knew that James. I wish I could have told you that and spoken to you before now, I regret it. I miss you, and I will always love you James.



Until we meet again,
Henry C. Gatz


4 comments:

  1. This is such a good fanfiction! I love the originality of the style in which you wrote it, with the letters. I found the first two really believable and even found myself reading them in the actual character's voices. The third one I had to read a couple of times to understand what was going on though. I wasn't sure if his Dad was dead or alive, or where he was based with the comment "though I am glad to be near you once again". I guess though that is just because he plays such a small part in the story. My only improvement would be to make that a bit more clear, otherwise I really enjoyed reading this work, nice job :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Natasha, I really liked the idea of how you used letters to potray your Fanfiction. I agree with Anna as it was unclear whether his Dad was dead or alive. I was bit lost in that part. :( Perhaps little bit of clarity is needed at that part. However, i really enjoyed reading your work. Well done.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Anna I'm glad you enjoyed reading it :) I have listened and changed that sentence, as I read it through again and I see how it was a bit confusing. The Dad is alive :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you Pretisha, the Dad is alive, so I changed the sentence so its a bit more obvious, thank you for the feedback :)

      Delete